Just because it’s cold outside, doesn’t mean it needs to be cold inside! Summitt Energy has tips to help you save energy. Winter can be an expensive time of year, and saving money on energy can certainly reduce your costs.
Below are some helpful tips to lower energy costs and prevent heat loss in your home.
How to save on heating costs:
- Winterize your home by installing weather-stripping on your doors and windows.
- Seal any cracks or holes with caulking to keep the cold air out.
- Lower your thermostat at night by a couple of degrees and use warm blankets.
- If you have a wood-burning fireplace, try using logs that are 4 to 6 inches in diameter to allow the wood to burn more efficiently.
- Change your furnace filter to allow your furnace to run more efficiently. This should be done every three to six months, so if you can’t remember when you last did it, it’s probably time to change it.
- Use rugs or carpets on your floors to provide better insulation and keep your feet warm.
How to save during the holidays:
- Replace your old incandescent holiday lights with new LED lights to save energy and prevent overheating. They will last longer.
- Use timers for your holiday lights so that they effortlessly light up only when you want them to, which will save energy.
- Lower your thermostat when you have friends and family over for the holidays. The additional body heat is an easy way to conserve some energy.
With these tips, save on your energy costs this winter, and enjoy your time with family and friends!